Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Miscellany



**** 

Today is a good day. It’s a Monday, a day off from work, high time for me to laze around, get as much sleep as I can, eat and eat  and not worry a bit about work and the coming days ahead. How I spend my Mondays actually depends on how I can overcome gravity. And since I live on my own- clean after my own mess, cook for myself and get the laundry done- defying the heaviness of this 65-kilos flesh just to get things done requires no magic. Nay, no incantations needed.


I decided to spend this day watching movies that I've missed out in trying to cope up with the daily shuffles of life. 


I know I've missed out a lot so I'm going to start with what my friend downloaded for me a few days back. I watched the last few bits of Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal's spanish animated film "Chico and Rita". I started watching it's first half the night before and thought of finishing it today since it is after all an amazing film. I love the animation which was carefully done, the music - mostly Cuban and Jazz, the tumultuous, Love-Hate relationship of Chico and Rita and the whole dialogue set in Spanish (and sometimes English and French) just really calls out the viewer's mind and heart. 







The next movie I watched was Michel Hazanavicius's black and white silent film "The Artist". After bagging 5 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor, I see no reason why I don't have to watch this. I found myself smiling over the first 20 minutes of the movie. It is saccharine, subtly painful movie that pulls on one's heartstrings. It is a movie that's easy to love and impossible to forget. Jean Dujardin as Georg Valentin brought a smile on my face, even if the scene does not require it, through his commendable acting. Berenice Bejo as Peppy Miller was just beauty, grace and perkiness put together. The movie has brought back the lost art of silent films and though it's dialogues are scant and it's shots less vivid, it is one brilliant movie that will tickle you one time and crumple you the next. 



This is the scene that got me saying "Awww". Peppy Miller hugs herself in Georg's coat. 



I also watched "This Means War" today. 



Would you believe me if I tell you that despite all these movies I watched today I still have time to dabble on some artwork and do some cooking? I seriously don't know where I got all this energy from. 


No comments: