Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Japan, Billy Collins





Japan


Today I pass the time reading 
a favorite haiku, 
saying the few words over and over. 

It feels like eating 
the same small, perfect grape
again and again. 

I walk through the house reciting it 
and leave its letters falling 
through the air of every room. 

I stand by the big silence of the piano and say it. 
I say it in front of a painting of the sea. 
I tap out its rhythm on an empty shelf. 

I listen to myself saying it, 
then say it without listening, 
then I hear it without saying it. 

And when the dog looks up at me, 
I kneel down on the floor 
and whisper it into each of his long white ears. 

It's the one about the one-ton 
temple bell
with the moth sleeping on its surface, 

and every time I say it, I feel the excruciating 
pressure of the moth 
on the surface of the iron bell. 

When I say it at the window, 
the bell is the world 
and I am the moth resting there. 

When I say it into the mirror, 
I am the heavy bell 
and the moth is life with its papery wings. 

And later, when I say it to you in the dark, 
you are the bell, 
and I am the tongue of the bell, ringing you, 

and the moth has flown
from its line 
and moves like a hinge in the air above our bed. 

--- Billy Collins, Picnic, Lightning

No comments: